Welcome to the incredible world of lilies! With over 100 species, lilies are some of the most diversely colorful and enchanting blooms around. It’s also why they are one of the most popular flowers in the world. Imbued with cultural symbolism that goes back centuries, lilies are cherished and adored by many. We like them because of their striking beauty and pleasant sweet aroma!
Lilies have various meanings within different cultures, but generally, they represent grace, royalty, beauty, and rebirth. As with other flowers, their significance is also based on their color per the below guidelines.
- White lilies express purity, virtue, and innocence.
- Pink lilies express abundance and prosperity.
- Red lilies express love and passion
- Orange lilies express confident, wealth, and pride
- Yellow lilies express joy, thankfulness, and good health
Quick Lily Facts
- Lilies are a flowering plant that grow from bulbs.
- “True Lilies” belong to the genus Lilium.
- When the flowers bloom, they are large, colorful, and often fragrant.
- True Lilies all have 6 petals and 6 anthers (oblong pods that contain pollen).
- Lilies are prevalent in weddings and bridal bouquets as well as other regal functions.
- Lilies are poisonous to cats, so keep your furry friends away from them.
- There are nine divisions, or categories, of lily types.
- Lilies are known for being one of the longest-lasting cut blooms with a long in-vase lifespan.
Lily Classifications & Examples
Pink Pixie Lilies
Division 1: Asiatic Hybrid – Most popular lilies in the world. Come in almost every color but have little to no scent. Attractive and long-lasting. (Tango, Forever Susan, Orange Pixie Lily, Elodie Lily, Lollipop)
Turk’s Cap Lily
Division 2: Martagon Hybrid – Dramatic, visually interesting, producing many small dainty downward-facing blossoms. Flowers can be numerous 40-50 per stem and strikingly colored. (Turk’s Cap)
Division 3: Candidum Hybrid – famous for the Madonna lily that has a lovely fragrance white flowers and a yellow base. Up to 20 blossoms per stem. (Madonna)
Division 4: American Hybrid – Includes hybrids of wild lilies in North America. (Tiger Lily)
Division 5: Longiflorum Hybrid – Easter lily, hybrids with elegant pure white petals, and trumpet-shaped. Bloom during Easter. (Easter Lily)
African Queen Lily
Division 6: Trumpet and Aurelian Hybrids – Popular cut flowers, lush, large trumpet-shaped flowers. and a heady sweet fragrance. (African Queen)
Division 7: Oriental Hybrid – Known for large, robust, upright flowers, and great scents. (Stargazer, Casablanca, Acapulco Lily)
Orange LA Hybrid Lily
Division 8: Interdivisional Hybrids – Hybrids of the above seven divisions.
Wild Yellow and Red Lily
Division 9: Species – Wild “parents” of all 8 hybrids.
All the Lily Love
Hopefully, by now, you love lilies as much as we do! Their diverse shapes and vibrant colors make them truly special. It is no wonder the lily is one of the most popular flowers in the world and is cherished in most cultures. Brighten someone’s day by sending them a bouquet of fragrant lilies or order them for yourself – you deserve it! Mission Viejo Florist has a great selection of just the perfect floral bouquet for any occasion. Check out our selection of lily bouquets and other beautiful floral arrangements now.