Thinking of spring bring up a lot of classic imagery. Flowers are perhaps one of the most beautiful emblems of this time of year, whether growing in our garden or fresh cut in the kitchen. One of the most iconic spring flowers of all is the daisy – this star shaped white and yellow flower exudes innocence and happiness. For these reasons, the daisy is honored as the official flower of April.
Here are a few quick facts about the daisy that you may not known.
- The daisy is known as a composite flower; in reality, it is two flowers in one. The center colored disc is comprised of tiny single florets, and the petals surrounding the center in a ray shaped formation is another distinct flower.
- There are more than 23,000 different varieties of daisy; the most well known being the Michaelmas, Shasta, African and Gerbera daisies.
- The gerberas are a popular choice when designing floral displays; their petals are cultivated in vivid colors like bright pink and neon orange, These colors are perfect for spring, and perfect for birthday bouquets!
- Daisy leaves are edible, and have many health and medicinal benefits. The leaves are used in salads and cooking, as they are rich in Vitamin C. They are useful to help treat coughs and congestion; as well as aches and pains.
- The larger family of the daisy includes artichokes and echinacea; as well as other ray flowers such as the cheerful sunflower.
- Like the sunflower, the daisy has an affinity for sunlight. The daisy’s name is derived from “day’s eye”, a phrase that indicates the flower’s habit of closing up at night, and opening when the sun rises.
When celebrating your family and friend’s April birthdays, daisies are the classic choice. Call Mission Viejo Florist today to make sure all of your April occasions are decorated with gorgeous, fresh floral bouquets – and don’t forget the daisies!